Re: Is there any valid reason to add an idiotic script to /etc/init.d by an default Debian install that only cause a PITA?

Did you know about the big kernel power regression?
My system (laptop) is always under 100% load no matter what the
frequency I'm on (BOINC).

Some stats (kernel 2.6.39.2)
2.17GHz ->  >103°C (luckily BIOS is coming to rescue)
1.67GHz -> ~94°C
1.33GHz -> ~83°C
1.00GHz -> ~74°C

Are you still going to say that frequency doesn't change heat that much?
I'm not sure how can scale frequency accordingly to temperature (and that
is the only thing I'm interested in) so I wrote program that is doing
this for me.
(dwibbling in /sys/devices/system/cpu/* ;) )

If you don't like something in Linux you can always change it, that is
the beauty of it.
But having the ability to change governor to powersave or performance
just by changing
simple configuration file is good thing. Having to compile new kernel
just to change
CPU governor is IMHO Very Bad Idea™.

darkestkhan
Feel free to CC me.