Re: Can't install on an Intel iMac

Hi Andu,

Still no success, sorry.

Here's a rundown of what I did:

1. Rebooted, entered the rEFIt partitioner. Synced the MBR. Seemed to be OK. Afterwards I reentered the partitioner, just for curiosity, but this time I got the message

Analysis inconclusive, will not touch this disk.
Error: NotFound returned from gptsync.efi

I have no idea what that means, so I proceeded anyway.

2. Booted from the install CD. Did normal install with the hope of setting the kernel option afterwards. After installation, rebooted, selected the Linux partition in rEFIt, but it hung with a blank screen. No way out.

3. Forced reboot with the power key. Did an expert install. Nowhere did it give me the option to set kernel options 'nomodeset reboot=pci' which you asked me to do. So at the end of the installation I chose the option to execute a shell, and used nano to put the line
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="nomodeset reboot=pci"
into /etc/default/grub, as you suggested as a plan B.

Ran update-grub as it asked me to.

Exited the shell, ended the installation, rebooted.

4.  Again used rEFIt to sync the MBR.

From there I got EXACTLY the results I got the first time. So I can't boot into Linux -- I just get a hang, whatever I do.

I'm really a bit astonished that it seems to be so hard to install Debian on what's now quite common hardware -- an Intel iMac. As I said earlier, it was easy on my PPC iMac. I'm not exactly a newbie although I am very new to Intel hardware.

Any other suggestions????

Cheers,  Mike.

          Mike Hore        mike_hore@aapt.net.au