Re: Can't install on an Intel iMac

Hi Andu,

On 2011-06-12 04:26, Mike Hore wrote:
3. Install rEFIt on the Mac. Don't forget to run enable-always.sh.

It's installed, but I don't know what you mean by enable-always.sh.
Sorry, I'm new to this.

In MacOS, open up a terminal, go to /efi/refit/ and run
'enable-always.sh' so rEFIt is invoked on boot all the time.

OK, thanks.

4. Boot, choose the rEFIt partitioning tool, sync the MBR.

Umm... it looks like it's going to wipe the Mac partition if I do that!
  Am I going to have to save everything and restore again?

No. If you open up the  partitioning tool of rEFIt from the boot menu,
it will ask you if it should sync the MBR table for you. Yes, it should.

OK.  Yes, it's saying it wants to do it.

If no action is needed, then quit the partitioning tool.

5. Insert the CD, reboot, press C.
6. Install Debian with kernel options 'nomodeset reboot=pci'.

How do I select those options?

You can set them once the installer has loaded and you choose if you
want to do normal, expert or whatever install. If you don't, your Linux
will hang during the reboot. Plan B: don't set it on install and if the
install is done and the reboot hangs, kill the machine with the power
button. Continue with 9., and once in Linux, set the options in
/etc/default/grub and have a line in it like
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="nomodeset reboot=pci"

OK, I'll try one of those.

9. Reboot, choose the rEFIT partitioning tool, sync the MBR.

What - do it again??

Yes, do it again. If you don't, your Linux won't boot.

10. Reboot, pick whatever you want as OS in rEFIt.

If you like, define the default OS in the refit conf file under MacOS.

Where's that?

Edit in MacOS /efi/refit/refit.conf, use 'default_selection L' after you
read the fine manual. ;-)

Whoops, there's a manual?  :-) :-)

I'll post the results of how I go.

Cheers,  Mike.