Can't install on an Intel iMac

Hi folks,

I've had Debian installed on a PPC iMac for a long time now, and I've now also picked up a used Intel iMac (from about 2006 - processor is 32-bit). I've downloaded and burned a netinst CD for squeeze, but the installation seems remarkably obscure. I've found a few articles, and done a few things, but I'm having no joy. (PowerPC was easy!!!)

I've installed EFI to control which partition to boot off.

I've got the disk repartitioned OK, I think:

/dev/sda1	MBR
/dev/sda2	/  (for Debian)  (bootable)
/dev/sda3	Mac OSX
/dev/sda4	swap

I've now repeatedly gone through the installation, and I make sure the bootable flag is "on" on sda2. Everything runs normally, then when it gets to install GRUB, I set it to install on sda2 (I think from what I read that the MBR is actually unused on an iMac.) Everything appears to go OK. But then when I reboot, and use EFI to select the Debian partition, I get a GRUB message telling me "no bootable device".

I've also tried to select Lilo, during the installation, but it gives me a message that an error occurred without saying what.

There's a Wiki article about Intel Macs, but it talks about custom kernels and I don't want to go there. I don't want a Windows partition, just Mac and Linux. I'm getting nowhere -- I'd be grateful for any help!!

Cheers,  Mike.

          Mike Hore        mike_hore@aapt.net.au