Re: Can't install on an Intel iMac

On 12/06/11 12:37 AM, Andreas Weber wrote:
On 2011-06-11 14:14, Mike Hore wrote:
I've installed EFI to control which partition to boot off.

Do you mean http://refit.sourceforge.net/ ? You can't install EFI, it's
already on the machine like BIOS was on old hardware.

Hi Andreas -- yes, I meant rEFIt.

There's a Wiki article about Intel Macs, but it talks about custom
kernels and I don't want to go there.  I don't want a Windows partition,
just Mac and Linux.  I'm getting nowhere -- I'd be grateful for any help!!

There are different approaches, but this one works 100 % almost always:

1. Install the MacOS.
2. Use BootCamp to downsize the Mac Partition or use the disk utility.

I didn't use BootCamp, but I've got the Mac partition downsized OK, as a result of my earlier installation attempts. I just backed everything up and restored onto the downsized partition, which I probably didn't have to do, but it's done now.

3. Install rEFIt on the Mac. Don't forget to run enable-always.sh.

It's installed, but I don't know what you mean by enable-always.sh. Sorry, I'm new to this.

4. Boot, choose the rEFIt partitioning tool, sync the MBR.

Umm... it looks like it's going to wipe the Mac partition if I do that! Am I going to have to save everything and restore again?

5. Insert the CD, reboot, press C.
6. Install Debian with kernel options 'nomodeset reboot=pci'.

How do I select those options?

7. Install Grub as proposed.
8. Finish the installation.
9. Reboot, choose the rEFIT partitioning tool, sync the MBR.

What - do it again??

10. Reboot, pick whatever you want as OS in rEFIt.

If you like, define the default OS in the refit conf file under MacOS.

Where's that?

Thanks, but you obviously are much more knowledgeable than me in this area. If you can answer these thing for me, I'll give it a go.

Cheers,  Mike.

          Mike Hore        mike_hore@aapt.net.au