open source time/expense tracking package?

What do you mean exactly with "timesheet approval"?
Things in opentimetool work like this:
Supervisor (User in Admin Mode) creates and defines
- Users
- Customers
- Projects
- Assignment of teams to projects
- Max effort on Projects (timebased)
- Project valid from date to date
- Project closed after x days

Of course, an admin user can review and alter the timesheets of other team members.

Apart from the above mentioned admin tools and the main time collect features in normal user mode, viewing projects and time effort (with filters) and exporting things to pdf or csv, there are no main administration options in opentimetool.
They keep things simple, and we love simplicity, don't we?
:-)

Regards,
Guido