Re: open source time/expense tracking package?

On Sat, 2011-06-11 at 11:58 -0400, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestions.  So far....
>
> sillaj:  too simple
>
> dotproject: seems like it might be buried in there, but way too complex,
> undocumented, the demo is down, ...
>
> opentimetool:  looks like it might do the trick - unfortunately, I can't
> read German, and both the English documentation and demo are sketchy.
> Guido - since you indicated that you're using it in production,  you us
> it - can you tell me if it provides for timesheet approval by a supervisor?
>
> It really is funny - I've gone through the wikipedia lists, as well as a
> lot of other lists of "10 best open source project management tools" and
> such --- you'd think that with all the folks who do various kinds of
> project-oriented work there's be something out there that does basic
> corporate-style time-sheet processing, you know:
> - enter your time data by project
> - submit at the end of the week
> - supervisor approval
> - export in a form that can be ingested by quickbooks or some other
> accounting/billing package
> - keep an audit trail (or at least a basic log)
>
> Fairly simple-minded vis-a-vis project management software, but seems to
> be hard (impossible?) to find - except in commercial products or
> services.  (Plus a few "pretend open-source" things out there - i.e.,
> really crippled community versions of commercial products.)
>
> Pieces of this also exist as Drupal and Wordpress plug-ins - but no cigar.
>
> Sigh... might have to write one.  Seems like a natural for some form of
> forms/workflow engine that provides spreadsheet functionality - any
> suggestions there?
<snip>
>From my brief foray into it, I think you are right.  The web2project
demo is up and looks just like dotProject only much faster - to the
point we may consider converting.  It will give you a feel for what
either of those projects can do.  It is really more project management
than timesheet management.  Good luck and let us know the final result -
John