Re: Linux for humans that differ to averaged people was - Re: Subscription

On Sat, 2011-06-11 at 11:43 +0100, Lisi wrote:
> On Saturday 11 June 2011 11:07:36 Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm fascinated.  How do you read braille from a monitor??!
> >
> > I've got good eyes and don't have braille ;). But I'm a dyslexic.
>
> You misunderstood my question.  "You" in English, in addition to being the
> second person plural and singular pronoun, is also the third person singular
> indefinate pronoun equivalent to the French "on".  You (second person
> singular) said  "I guess using braille, people have to read much more
> irrelevant stuff" and I asked how on earth these putative people, using
> braille to read things on the Internet, did so.  I cannot see how anyone uses
> braille on the Internet, so I asked you (second person singular) how such a
> person would do so.

Ok, I guess I understand now. I don't know, but perhaps it's possible by
using w3m. There are some sites made by blind people and those sides use
a different style, compared to usual web pages.

Please run

$ w3m http://www.webbie.org.uk/webbie.htm

This IMO is even more pleasant for people who are able to see ;). No
folderol. Btw. I didn't read it.

> > > My blind friends (even one who can read Braille at a phenomenal rate) all
> > > use text to speech software.  Though the point about difficulty scanning
> > > still holds good.
> >
> > Try Orca or so, you can't use it for all applications. Fortunately blind
> > people can use Linux easier than other OS, because there's software with
> > good config files, so they don't need the GUI :).
>
> Very sadly, this is not true.  There is marvellous text to speech software
> available, very expensively, for Windows.  I have looked into Linux and have
> not so far found anything to touch it.  Mind you, testing is as you (second
> person singular) say difficult, because I am not good at managing without
> some sort of visual hint.

I like pictures very much! I guess even for blind people a relief will
give more information than words sometimes can do.

Regarding to accessibility I might be thinking of audio only. I guess on
Windows and Mac it's harder for blind musicians, but I might be
mistaken.

FWIW even seeing and sane artists prefer engineers to handle the
computer equipment.

Herbie Hancock On Sesame Street
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5C4VF7xdcc

Computers are bad designed for intuitive people. This 68000 CPU computer
based synth is much better designed, regarding to the needs of musicians
than Windows, Mac and Linux desktops are.

Regards,

Ralf