Re: Subscription

On Sat, 2011-06-11 at 10:27 +0100, Lisi wrote:
> On Saturday 11 June 2011 10:05:04 Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > I've good luck, because I can skip a lot when watching at the monitor, I
> > guess using braille, people have to read much more irrelevant stuff.
>
> I'm fascinated.  How do you read braille from a monitor??!
>
> My blind friends (even one who can read Braille at a phenomenal rate) all use
> text to speech software.  Though the point about difficulty scanning still
> holds good.
>
> That is not sarcasm incidentally.  I would genuinely like to know how you can
> use braille to read things on the Internet.

They can use special hardware for that, it 'translates' the written text
to a line of braille on a physical device. Googling "braille hardware
gave me this link on top:
http://www.indiana.edu/~iuadapts/technology/hardware/braille/index.html

I have no experience whatsoever with any kind of these devices and
Linux, wearing a pair of glasses is enough for me to clearly read the
screen. I am no expert by any means.

> Lisi

Kind regards,
Steven