Linux for humans that differ to averaged people was - Re: Subscription

On Sat, 2011-06-11 at 10:27 +0100, Lisi wrote:
> On Saturday 11 June 2011 10:05:04 Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > I've good luck, because I can skip a lot when watching at the monitor, I
> > guess using braille, people have to read much more irrelevant stuff.
>
> I'm fascinated.  How do you read braille from a monitor??!

I've got good eyes and don't have braille ;). But I'm a dyslexic.

> My blind friends (even one who can read Braille at a phenomenal rate) all use
> text to speech software.  Though the point about difficulty scanning still
> holds good.

Try Orca or so, you can't use it for all applications. Fortunately blind
people can use Linux easier than other OS, because there's software with
good config files, so they don't need the GUI :).

On Linux audio users there are two blind users and they use Hydrogen by
setting up this drum machine by it's config file. The GUI can't be used
with Orca speech software.

I tried Orca with closed eyes, horrible. You and I, we have good luck
that we are able to see. I guess impaired people very often need help
when using Linux installers. I'm pissed off that the world is made for
averaged people only ;), even that I'm more or less averaged myself, so
there aren't that much issues for me, excepted of empathy for people who
are different.

For Linux there is software for children, that shows, that it's possible
to give access to the computer for illiterates or mentally retarded, but
there is no such software for adults like e.g. http://tuxpaint.org/

I guess illiterates or mentally retarded adults would prefer to use Gimp
instead of tuxpaint ;).

> That is not sarcasm incidentally.  I would genuinely like to know how you can
> use braille to read things on the Internet.

A misunderstanding, perhaps regarding to my broken English. My eyes just
need + 0.5 or + 0.75 glasses (= + 1.0 for the glasses from the
supermarket), so I do have very good eyes. I'm not blind. My issues
regarding to reading are caused by dyslexia. So, I'm using a monitor ;).

Regards,

Ralf