Re: how to get to runlevel 3 (to install nvidia drivers)

On 2011-06-11 12:15 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Sat, 2011-06-11 at 11:28 +0200, Sven Joachim wrote:
>> On 2011-06-11 11:16 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>>
>> > *?* on Ubuntu it was possible to remove an old version and to add a new
>> > while running a DE. I suspect this is possible on Debian too?
>>
>> Using the Debian packages, yes.  I was talking about the official
>> installer.
>>
>> Sven
>
> Hi Sven, is there a particular reason not to use the package?

It might be too old and not support your current GPU, Xserver or
kernel.

> I know that there could be reasons, but those are very rare.

If you use stable, you might run into the "GPU too new" problem.  If you
use unstable, you might run into the "kernel too new" problem, or in the
"X too new problem", especially with the legacy drivers.  If you use
testing, you might run into any of the above, plus the "Debian nvidia
packages not available and/or not installable in testing" problem.

Of course, if you use the installer you are going to have other
problems, so that is certainly no panacea.  If the Debian packages work,
use them and _not_ the installer.

Sven