How to install with encrypted root?

Hi

I'm trying to install squeeze with "/" being a partition dmcrypt'ed
with luks. Is Debian supposed to support that or not? For me the
debian installer failed to do it, so I sent mail to debian-boot about
it [1] and then since I didn't get a reply reported a bug against
initramfs-tools [2], where Maximilian Attems told me to get support
here.

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2011/06/msg00068.html

So please tell me what I'm doing it wrong, whether it works for you,
or whether that's in fact a result of bug(s) and ideally to which
package(s) it(they) should be reported.

Thanks,
Christian.