Re: How to install with encrypted root?

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 09:25:43AM -0400, Christian Jaeger wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm trying to install squeeze with "/" being a partition dmcrypt'ed
> with luks. Is Debian supposed to support that or not? For me the
> debian installer failed to do it, so I sent mail to debian-boot about
> it [1] and then since I didn't get a reply reported a bug against
> initramfs-tools [2], where Maximilian Attems told me to get support
> here.
>
> [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2011/06/msg00068.html
> [2] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=629985
>
> So please tell me what I'm doing it wrong, whether it works for you,
> or whether that's in fact a result of bug(s) and ideally to which
> package(s) it(they) should be reported.

It works for me here using d-i.

There could be many ways to do this.  I tried several before.
I now have both root and swap on a LVM partition which is on an
encrypted partition with LUKS. (Of course, /boot is unencrypted and also
I installed another backup system there as / for rescue.)

Your answe can be found in Google:
  "LVM encrypt root debian squeeze"

http://wiki.debian.org/AesXtsEncryptedLvm (OLD and easier method exists
but still good to read)