Re: laptop restart eth0 automatically on plugin or on awake like a desktop

On Thu 09 Jun 2011 at 19:11:48 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 19:35:48 +0100, Brian wrote:
>
> > You are talking about *devices* here.
>
> AFAIK, network devices (NICs) are also managed by udev.

Maybe - but the cable is not a device. With a static address stanza in
/e/n/i the interface will happily be upped and configured without a
cable attached during booting. Connecting the cable after booting gives
network connectivity, but that is nothing to do with udev.

> > An ethernet cable is not a device.
>
> But the card is and the card interacts with it in some way when the
> cable is on/ off :-P

Yes, but it still has nothing to do with udev. As I've remarked, the
kernel notices the cable reconnection and reports 'eth0: link becomes
ready'. It does not invoke ifup.

> > But I like your turn of phrase. Go on, get your fingers burnt!
> > udevadm(8) and unplug and plug the cable back in. See any reaction from
> > udev?
>
> Me? I don't have any problem with "*-hotplug".

Neither do I. It's been in my /e/n/i for many years. But I thought you
might have wanted to check what part udev played when a network cable
was unplugged/plugged in. udevadm says 'none'.

> > The question remains -  Why would plugging or unplugging the ethernet
> > cable be expected to bring the interface up or down?
>
> It does not have to be an isolated event.
>
> For example, the computer is hibernated or suspended, the cable was
> disonnected, you attach it and then you awake the system that triggers
> the restore script for the network service and the interface that was
> marked with "allow-hotplug" cannot be up.

You're moving the goalposts!