Re: [SOLVED] Lost network after lenny-to-squeeze upgrade

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 12:19 PM, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@gmail.com> wrote:

> NetworkManager has been one of the biggest disasters in GUI and
> configuration history known to open source. It has absolutely *no* use
> in normal desktop or server operation: it cannot configure basic
> configurations such as pair-bonding or bridges effectively, and its
> ability to wipe out and override normal configuratons without warning
> is the bane of stability.
>
> It has some vague uses for traveling laptops, that may need
> comfortable tools to manipulate VPN's and wireless connections, but
> it's that good even at those.

I hate to disappoint you but I can see the day where we'll have NM
running on headless, X-less boxes. Fedora 13/14/15 install it when you
do a kickstart install with just "@base" in "packages" section.
Scientific Linux 6 (and I therefore assume RHEL 6) doesn't have it by
default but I wouldn't be surprised to see it there in v7. There's a
site where I admin some Fedora boxes. I used to have "/usr/bin/yum -y
erase NetworkManager" in my "%post" section but I've now given up the
anti-NM fight; I've just set up a dev F15 box with NM.

I've just installed NM in two Debian and Ubuntu server VMs and it runs
fine so it could be added to all tasksel tasks. I'm sure that there'd
be a big discussion on the respective devel lists if anyone proposed
to install NM in the basic server installs (this discussion would
probably make the insserv discussion mild and civilized by
comparison).