Re: Until now Debian seems to be the right decision :), better performance than Ubuntu

On Wed, 2011-06-01 at 01:15 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-05-30 at 19:30 +0000, Juan R. de Silva wrote:
> > On Mon, 30 May 2011 19:14:58 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> >
> > > But the only really annoying thing is, that I had to reboot Ubuntu
> > > Natty, because I wasn't able to adopt the Evolution files for Debian's
> > > Evolution.
> > >
> > > Perhaps somebody knows what to do:
> > >
> > > After copying
> > > # cp
> > > -pr /media/natty/home/spinymouse/.local/share/evolution
> > > /home/spinymouse/.local/share # cp
> > > -pr /media/natty/home/spinymouse/.gnome2/accels/evolution
> > > /home/spinymouse/.gnome2/accels Evolution started with a manager to set
> > > up Evolution AND TO IMPORT FILES, so I deleted what I copied before.
> > > Unfortunately there was no option to import files, Evolution tried to
> > > force me to set up a new account. This is completely idiotic, because it
> > > should be possible to simply copy the files for equal versions of
> > > Evolution, from one to another install.
> >
> > Agree with every word.
> >
> > > Does anybody know how to import account settings and emails, resp. what
> > > files I need to copy?
> >
> > Well, I hit the same wall and, after spending couple of days researching
> > and getting some advice from this newsgroup, succeeded to import
> > everything. I documented the procedure for myself for the future. You
> > might find it not the best, but this is the only way I found. Here is the
> > copy from my file.
> >
> > 1. Restore e-mail account settings.
> > -----------------------------------
> >
> > - Run Evolution for the first time and create a default e-mail account.
> > Evolution would create a tree of file and folders in home/
> > <username>/.gconf/apps/evolution directory. These would contain initial
> > Evolution settings.
> >
> > - Close Evolution.
> >
> > - From terminal execute `ps ux | grep evolution` to see what Evolution
> > related processes are runing. Kill all of them.
> >
> > - Overwrite the content of /home/<username>/.evolution/mail/ folder with
> > the content from the corresponding backup folder. This would bring all
> > your e-mails contained in their corresponding subfolders.
> >
> > - From backup /home/<username>/.gconf/apps/evolution/mail/%gconf.xml file
> > copy content of all <li type="string"> *** </li> entries between <entry
> > name="accounts" mtime="1305671823" type="list" ltype="string"> and its
> > final </entry> tag to the newly generated /home/<username>/.gconf/apps/
> > evolution/mail/%gconf.xml file. For best result restart computer before
> > starting Evolution.
> >
> > This would restore all your e-mail account settings. It's helpful if you
> > have multiple accounts.
> >
> > 2. Import Calendars.
> >
> > - Start Evolution
> >
> > - If you had multiple calendars in Evolution recreate empty calendars
> > with the names you want (probably the same names you get used to).
> >
> > - Use File->Import menu option in Evolution to import corresponding
> [...]

PPS: Bogofilters, dictionaries etc. aren't installed ;).

Unfortunately a lot of the preferences are bad. Btw. already for the
'original Evolution' äüö get lost, perhaps regarding to automatically
converting code for Bogo?