[SOLVED] Lost network after lenny-to-squeeze upgrade

On Sat, 14 May 2011, Itay wrote:

I am experiencing major network problems after the upgrade.
Rebooting solves the problem for a short while - after 5
minutes, or so, network will be lost.

Based on searches in the internet I pasted below some info that
I understand might help to resolve the problem.

Please help.
Thanks,
Itay

So I purged NetworkManager; network works fine.
Tested after several reboots and system updates.

Thanks to Camaleón and Shell Xu for advice and detailed explanations.
See thread for details.

Itay