Re: [SOLVED] Lost network after lenny-to-squeeze upgrade

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 3:53 AM, Itay <debian@itayf.fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On Sat, 14 May 2011, Itay wrote:
>
>> I am experiencing major network problems after the upgrade.
>> Rebooting solves the problem for a short while - after 5
>> minutes, or so, network will be lost.
>>
>> Based on searches in the internet I pasted below some info that
>> I understand might help to resolve the problem.
>>
>> Please help.
>> Thanks,
>> Itay
>

> So I purged NetworkManager; network works fine.
> Tested after several reboots and system updates.
>
> Thanks to Camaleón and Shell Xu for advice and detailed explanations.
> See thread for details.

NetworkManager has been one of the biggest disasters in GUI and
configuration history known to open source. It has absolutely *no* use
in normal desktop or server operation: it cannot configure basic
configurations such as pair-bonding or bridges effectively, and its
ability to wipe out and override normal configuratons without warning
is the bane of stability.

It has some vague uses for traveling laptops, that may need
comfortable tools to manipulate VPN's and wireless connections, but
it's that good even at those.