Re: Problems installing squeeze netinstall

On 05/29/2011 12:21 PM, William Hopkins wrote:
On 05/29/11 at 11:50am, Ethan Rosenberg wrote:
At 11:33 AM 5/29/2011, William Hopkins wrote:
On 05/29/11 at 11:00am, Ethan Rosenberg wrote:
At 09:25 AM 5/28/2011, Rob Owens wrote:
On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 11:45:09AM -0400, Ethan Rosenberg wrote:
Dear list -

It went nowhere w/ the full iso of squeeze [see my previous post
"Difficulties installing squeeze"], so I moved on the netinst.  The
CD runs perfectly until it gets to "Select and Install Software", at
which point it hangs.  As far as I can tell, the CD is fine.  It was
burned at a low speed, the MD5 sum of the file and the download
matched and the CD was verified after burning.  I have tried
changing the mirrors, to no avail.
Can you ctl-alt-f1 or ctl-alt-f2 to see the output or open a
terminal for troubleshooting?>>>  Yes, but it is just scrolling and
I cannot read it.
F1 should bring you to the output of the installer. A shame you
cannot read it to see what is happening.
Try heading over to f2 where you can open a terminal for
troubleshooting. Test your network from there. Try to ps and see
what is going on.
If it helps, I can get to a terminal with the rescue mode.  I did
that and updated [apt-get update&&  apt-get autoclean&&  apt-get
dist-upgrade&&  apt-get autoremove].  When I boot, the system
freezes at [   8.824009] [<c010253c>] cpu_idle+0x19/0xcb
I don't think this kernel output is helpful, but perhaps I'm wrong and some lister will reply.
If your CD hangs at 'select and install software' (which it should never do, as this step doesn't involve anything more than loading a list of files), then you've already completed installing the base system, right?
Do you get any other text on the screen when it hangs during boot?
What was the ps -ef output from the troubleshooting terminal of the installer?

I had this problem back in March installing Wheezy w. the netinst. iso. Re-burned it a couple of times and finally said (expletive deleted), downloaded the business card iso and all went well from there. I have had nothing but problems trying to install downloaded iso's when they are of any size as it seems my CD/DVD drive[s] seem to not like reading compressed .iso info for some reason. I have even had to do the burn at only 2X speed to get them to write correctly. HTH's.

Cheers,
Whit