Re: backports updates

On 05/23/2011 05:18 AM, Andrei Popescu wrote:
forgot about it. May I suggest installing etckeeper? In it's default
configuration it will automatically keep a track of all changes in /etc,
which you can review very easily if you wish with (as root):

# cd /etc
# git log -u

If you make any changes and don't want to bother committing them
yourself they will be committed automatically before any package
install. Committing (recording) changes is not very complicated. Just do
as root:

# cd /etc
# git commit -a -m "<note about what I just changed>"

The big benefit of committing yourself (vs. automatic commits) is you
can easily tell from the commit message what the change was about ;)

Regards,
Andrei

Many thanks for this information. I'm glad you post ideas like this, because I get to learn about things that I would have missed entirely.