Re: Gnome start menu on ubuntu

On 23/05/11 08:17, shawn wilson wrote:
(This might be a ubuntu themeing issue)

I installed ubuntu 11.04 on an HP netbook. Everything works great (even the
bt43 WiFi wasn't that bad) except the start (ubuntu) menu (and I'm not crazy
about the quick launch bar or it being on the left). How do I get a "normal"
start menu?

Lets define "normal" (or what I don't like about this menu):
It takes up the whole screen.
It doesn't list all of my applications.
It has large icons.

Now, I see that the menu in older versions looks ok so maybe there's a
setting to revert back. I also don't any questions about this in my googling
so maybe I'm doing it wrong or just don't get something here. I found a
'Win7-2' theme, settings, etc type package which made some things look more
windowsey but had no effect on the start menu, quick launch, or even the mac
like way of putting application menus on a bar outside the application.

Have you by chance installed the 'Netbook Remix' version? Where the vertical resolution is only 600, the Netbook version is reckoned to be more useful, and I have it on my Acer netbook. But the orthodox version should work.

--
Joe