Re: Why does my system stop frequently?

On Sun, 22 May 2011 21:47:03 -0500, Dennis Wicks wrote:

> My system (lenny 2.6.26-2-686, P2, 2+ GHz) will just stop.

That's a quite old computer.

> No disk light, nothing works. No scrolling, typing, marking/selecting,
> no copying/pasting. Just frozen. It will stay like this for probably 5
> secs. although it seems longer, and it happens often, every couple of
> minutes.

And after the freeze it becomes responsive again?

> It will also run really slow. Steady disk light and although I can
> switch (slowly) between workspaces, nothing else can be done.

Workspaces? Are you running a GUI-based system?

> Any help will be greatly appreciated!

I would discard a hardware error, and being frozen too often I would
start with hard disks. You can load a LiveCD and keep it running a full
day -no more freezes could mean the error is on the disk itself or at the
controller- and also run "smartctl" test, long run.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón