Re: Adventures multi-booting late 2003 iBook G3 (was: What is this Apple Bootstrap thing of which the installer speaks?)

I actually found a horribly convoluted way of installing Debian
without breaking Mac OS 9.2.2. However, my G3 does apparently have
hardware support for large disks. I can partition the whole disk
from Tiger and Mac OS 9.2.2 can still be installed and booted. I
haven't tried asking Mac OS 9.2.2 to actually boot from or mount
any partitions over the 128GB limit, but it doesn't appear to be
bothered by it. I'm not sure what is happening differently on your
computer. According to Speedtools, it ought not be a problem for
Mac OS Classic so long as Classic doesn't actually need any
partition above the 128GB limit. I don't use Speedtools, but that's
what they say ought to happen if you boot without it.

I do remember on one occasion, I partitioned Debian with partman
but did not install yaboot, and Mac OS 9.2.2 still booted, until I
installed yaboot. On another occasion that I installed Debian w/out
yaboot, having partitioned with partman, Mac OS 9.2.2 did become
broken. The first time, the disk was initially partition with OS X -
- - the second time, with Classic. Perhaps when partman saw the
Classic parition table was smaller than the actual disk, it felt an
obsessive compulsive need to fix it by re-initializing, and in
doing so, broke the partition map. I'm really not sure.

In any case, for me at least, bypassing both partman and automatic
yaboot installation fixed the problem, although it did involve
wiping the disk and starting from scratch. It sound like maybe you
were having a slightly different problem. I think perhaps there are
multiple bugs here.