Re: Adventures multi-booting late 2003 iBook G3 (was: What is this Apple Bootstrap thing of which the installer speaks?)

I blogged about this a couple of years back. (Fedora, rather than
Debian.) You may have discovered this all the hard way by now, but
I'll post the link anyway:

http://reiisi.blogspot.com/2009/05/fedora-on-old-clamshell-ibook.html

I think the only thing the blog really adds is that you can probably
get around the Mac OS 9 partition being walked on by something like
the following:

After your fresh install of Mac OS 9, make sure it's updated as far as
you want the Mac OS 9 system updated, and make sure there's a copy of
the Apple Hard Disk utility on the Mac OS 9 partition.

iBooks with Firewire can boot from an external drive. After a certain
model number (check Apple's hardware pages) hey can boot from USB as
well as Firewire. So you can make a copy of your booting Mac OS 9
partition (with Apple's disk imaging utility, or, even by
drag-and-drop copying, usually) and boot from an external drive in
some cases.

If that doesn't work for you, you should still be able to copy the
partition and burn a CD-R (but not CD-RW) from the copy, and end up
with a bootable CD from which to run Apple's HD Utilitiy.

(Ergo, to get you out of the bind when Debian's installer walks on the
Mac OS 9 partiions.)

(I did file a bug on this in Fedora's Bugzilla, but they couldn't get
the hardware and the spare personnel with the technical expertise all
together long enough to fix it, I think. Wish I had the time to look
at it myself.)