Re: UUID - autmatically entries?

On 20110522_035930, annathemermaid@hush.com wrote:

snip...

> I recently performed a manual installation of Debian, bypassing
> partman (in order to bypass a severe problem with partman and/or
> yaboot that was breaking another OS), and thus configured the fstab
> manually. I used devices, just like I always do when editing
> fstabs. It works fine. I don't see any reason to change it? What do
> UUIDs give me that /dev/hdx or /dev/sdx don't, aside from being
> harder to read and a pain to setup?

more snip ...

As I understand it, there can be a problem if you add or remove
peripheral internal hardware, i.e. add or remove a single hard disk on
a system that has half a dozen hard disks , can result in *all* the
hard disks getting different device names assigned on the next boot and
stay that way until corrective action is taken manually. It has to do
with changes in the way the kernel goes about discovering what is
connected and assigning a device designation to each discovered piece
of hardware. So, it is a fix for a problem that you may never
experience. But if you reject/disable the fix and you do make changes
in the disks on a computer, you might be in for a heap of grief,
maybe. And when/if it happens, you will get some sympathy from the
developers who kindly spend time watching this list, but maybe not so
much sympathy as you would like. At the very least, I urge you to
educate yourself on this issue.

HTH

--
Paul E Condon