syncing on Debian Squeeze with pilot-link

Hello.  I use jpilot.  I recently got a used Palm Pilot Zire 21.  I had
previously been using a Palm IIIe, but it was a serial connection,
and did not use a usb to sync. I have used a Zire in the past, but I
can't seem to set this one set up correctly.  I read the README files
from the pilot-link package, and did once get it to sync, but I can't
seem to do it again.

The stuff I did was something along the lines of running the following
commands:

/sbin/modprobe uhci_hcd
/sbin/modprobe ehci_hcd
/bin/mknod /dev/ttyUSB1 c 188 1
/bin/chmod 0666 /dev/ttyUSB?

I'm not sure exactly if this is what I did to get it to sync the one
time, but those commands are from the README.usb file of the Debian
package pilot-link, which I used.

It doesn't work now, and I'd hate to have to keep entering some
variation of the above commands each time. There is another file,
called README.Debian, that presumably tells users how to set it up to
work once and for all. The problem is I don't really understand what
this README.Debian file is instructing.  Some of what the README.Debian
file says is:

/dev/pilot is no more used by pilot-link. You shall indicate the port
to use either with --port <port> or by the environment variable
$PILOTPORT.

I haven't a clue what they're talking about here. Where is this
"environment variable $PILOTPORT"?  Does anyone know how to set this up?

All answers appreciated.

Mark