Re: SWF (Adobe Flash) support

Stanisław Findeisen (stf@eisenbits.com on 2011-05-18 09:59 +0200):
> Hi!
>
> Is it possible to play Adobe Flash files from, for example,
> YouTube.com without non-free software?
[..]
> However I am unable to play YouTube.com videos in Iceweasel 3.0.6. I
> even tried downloading one to the filesystem and running gnash on it,
> but it only displays a black rectangle. :-(
>
> What is the Debian recommended way, if any, to play SWF files?
Playing flash in-browser with anything other than Adobe's plugin is
very much a hit-and-miss thing, in my experience. I have always had
much better luck with youtube-dl and mplayer than anything in-browser,
including Adobe's offering.

Nowadays, it's working fine for me with gnash 0.8.9 and Firefox
(iceweasel) 4, but anything older probably will not work. If I remember
correctly, the Flash player needs access to the browser's cookie cache
for (current) Youtube videos to work, and that access simply isn't
possible in older browsers.

Regards,
Arno