Re: Gnome 3 from experimental - how do you change wallpaper

On 18/05/11 12:35, Alan Chandler wrote:
On 18/05/11 11:56, Camaleón wrote:
On Wed, 18 May 2011 07:18:16 +0100, Alan Chandler wrote:

(...)

HOWEVER, I don't like the blue stripped wallpaper that came as standard
- I would like to go back to my much lighter picture (from my own
images) that I had as my wallpaper for Gnome 2.

The only reference I have been able to find on the internet is to use a
program called "gsettings" to alter it. However, my install of Gnome 3
didn't bring in "gsettings". I can see there is no package called
gsettings (although it did bring in a package called gsettings-backend)
so I can't figure out how to change it.

Anyone ideas which debian (experimental?) package contains the gsettings
program, or is there an alternative way of changing this background?

"gsettings" binary can be found in "libglib2.0-bin" package from Sid.

Anyway, the background image can be changed from the common display
applet of gnome3, so if it's not present now it will in a future :-)

Greetings,

Thanks, I found gsettings now. It looks like I haven't yet got much of
gnome3 installed - what is this common display applet? - the new
gnome-shell doesn't seem to give me any options to access applets?

I found out how to change the background

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background picture-uri 'file:///home/alan/images/Travel/Holiday in Yorkshire Dales/p7130047.jpg'

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk