Re: SWF (Adobe Flash) support

18/05/2011 09:59, Stanisław Findeisen wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Is it possible to play Adobe Flash files from, for example, YouTube.com
> without non-free software?
>
> This is what I have:
>
> $ dpkg-query --list | grep -i -E 'flash|gnash|swf'
> ii  gnash                                0.8.4-3~lenny1             free
> SWF movie player
> ii  gnash-common                         0.8.4-3~lenny1             free
> SWF movie player - common files/librari
> ii  libswfdec-0.6-90                     0.6.8-1                    SWF
> (Macromedia Flash) decoder library
> ii  mozilla-plugin-gnash                 0.8.4-3~lenny1             free
> SWF movie player - Plugin for Mozilla a
> ii  swfdec-gnome                         2.22.2-2
> Tools to play SWF files (Macromedia Flash) o
> ii  swfdec-mozilla                       0.6.0-5
> Mozilla plugin for SWF files (Macromedia Fla
>
> However I am unable to play YouTube.com videos in Iceweasel 3.0.6. I
> even tried downloading one to the filesystem and running gnash on it,
> but it only displays a black rectangle. :-(
>
> What is the Debian recommended way, if any, to play SWF files?
>
> Thanks!

Hi, if the flash videos don't play with gnash (youtube works fine with
recent gnash versions, Lenny's gnash is a bit behind) or lightspark, you
can always use something like mozplugger to trigger an external video
player (vlc plays flash files), or download locally with an extension
like VideoDownloadHelper (can also convert videos to other format),
DownThemAll or flashgot and then play them with a player of your choice.