Re: Avoid POP3

On Tue, 17 May 2011 14:31:27 -0500, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:

>>> Obvious :-)
>>
>>Not that obvious :-P
>>
>>I can read POP3 messages from my pop3 e-mail checker while I'm not
>>downloading them at all (I can even delete the messages I don't want to
>>keep) if by "downloading" we mean here "fetch the messages and remove
>>them from server".
>
> From <http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/download>:

(...)

> So, download covers "fetch the messages" but not "remove them from the
> server".
>
> So, yeah.  There's no way to read anything without downloading it, and
> that is obvious.

Ha! Nice try...

This is mostly a technical mailing list and the above definitions do not
have to entirely fit with the ones used to define a standard protocol¹.
Meaning, in plain English yes, "download" is a very generic term covering
many situations.

But you seem to forgot the context here, that is POP3, and when it comes
to POP3 the "download" verb is closely linked to "fetch and remove" which
is the default operation any MUA does when you setup a POP3 account.

¹http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post_Office_Protocol

Greetings,

--
Camaleón