Re: Avoid POP3

In <[🔎] pan.2011.05.17.15.50.57@gmail.com>, Camaleón wrote:
>On Tue, 17 May 2011 16:42:28 +0300, Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:
>>> On Tue, 17 May 2011 08:21:36 -0500
>>> John Hasler <jhasler@debian.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> There is no way to read anything without downloading it.
>>
>> Obvious :-)
>
>Not that obvious :-P
>
>I can read POP3 messages from my pop3 e-mail checker while I'm not
>downloading them at all (I can even delete the messages I don't want to
>keep) if by "downloading" we mean here "fetch the messages and remove
>them from server".

From <http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/download>:

download (third-person singular simple present downloads, present participle
downloading, simple past and past participle downloaded)
1. (transitive) To transfer (computer data, especially as one or more files)
from a remote computer (server) to a local computer, usually via a network.
	You can download a trial version of the program for thirty days to
determine whether you want to purchase the full version.
2. (transitive, nonstandard) upload; to copy a file from a local computer to a
remote computer via a network.
3. (transitive, nonstandard) to transfer a file to or from removable media.
	I needed to download photos to a CD-ROM
4. (transitive, nonstandard) to install software.

So, download covers "fetch the messages" but not "remove them from the
server".

So, yeah.  There's no way to read anything without downloading it, and that is
obvious.