Re: Debian update/upgrade good practices?

18.5.2011 10:20, Rafał Radecki kirjoitti:
> Hi all.
>
> I have a new LAN to administer, I have 8 Debian production servers
> which have been configured by someone else.
> I try to make a reasonable update/upgrade policy for those servers.
> Till now (for my home servers) I used aptitude update/upgrade and it
> was ok. But here every server has many services (Oracje, JBoss, VMWare
> 2 Server, ...) and I think that now I should be more careful.
>
> Should upgrades/updates be made automatically or manually? What
> additional steps could be made? When should be dist-upgrade made? One
> one site I have read that Debian's policy is to use stable versions
> and only add security updates... what do you think?

Be VERY cautious with those Oracle & VMWare if you think about
dist-upgrade. At least VMware will break. There is a 3rd party patch to
compile Vmware modules with a newer kernel.

I think there is no need to upgrade to squeeze for the VMware box anyway.

--

You will feel hungry again in another hour.