Re: Debian update/upgrade good practices?

On Wed, 18 May 2011 09:20:53 +0200, Rafał Radecki wrote:

> I have a new LAN to administer, I have 8 Debian production servers which
> have been configured by someone else. I try to make a reasonable
> update/upgrade policy for those servers. Till now (for my home servers)
> I used aptitude update/upgrade and it was ok. But here every server has
> many services (Oracje, JBoss, VMWare 2 Server, ...) and I think that now
> I should be more careful.
>
> Should upgrades/updates be made automatically or manually?

Manually, always.

> What additional steps could be made?

Update on non working days, when you can easily leave the machine powered
off (always expect for the worse).

> When should be dist-upgrade made?

I prefer to install any new version from scratch, keeping the old system
on a separate partition that can be booted wherenever I want and install
the new version in parallel. That allows me to have a system ready to use
and not depending on how will be the upgrade :-)

> One one site I have read that Debian's policy is to use stable versions
> and only add security updates... what do you think?

That's true for the "stable" branch. It's a good policy, imo.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón