Re: Avoid POP3

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 11:42:58AM -0400, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:
> >But that's what IMAP is for.  POP is specifically designed as a
> >temporary holding area (like a Post Office Box).
> >
> >>       There are some way to read the mails from POP3 account without
> >>download...maybe a gateway to IMAP...some idea?
> >
> >Who goes to the Post Office, reads their mail and then puts it
> >back in the PO Box?  POP is aptly named.
>
> Actually, I've been known to :-)   [most of my mail goes to a PO Box
> - usually I make a trip to pick it up, but there are times where
> I'll be walking by the post office, take a quick look for anything
> important, and leave the bulk of stuff to deal with at another time]

Likewise. I also sometimes ignore mail I don't want to open.  Recently, I
found a large check hidden under one of those "someday later" mails.

> re. electronic mail:  I'm all IMAP now, but if you're stuck with a
> POP only account, it's fairly common to read mail from multiple
> machines (say a laptop, smartphone, and desktop), but want to
> download and retain it on only one machine (e.g., one's desktop)

There was a great windows program for checking a POP3 box. POP3 ScanMail.

It allowed one to check their box headers, read selected mails in plain
text, download as a file, set all the flags for deletion, new, read, unread.

The OP may be interested.

It is still around, although I wonder what kind of development/support it
has because it was neglected when I was on Win98.

Of course, most of these Linux CLI clients we use now were originally used
to browse POP3 boxes from shell accounts in the day.

--
Regards,
Freeman

"Microsoft is not the answer. Microsoft is the question. NO (or Linux) is the
answer." --Somebody