Re: Boot problem after crashed update

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 6:26 PM, Jochen Schulz <ml@well-adjusted.de> wrote:
> Simon Hoerder:
>>
>> Is there an easy way to remove all unstable packages?
>
> No, at least no easy way I could come up with. You could use aptitude
> search to identify installed packages from unstable, remove them and
> reinstall them from squeeze. But since you apparently already have libc
> from unstable, that won't work.  You could also try to forcibly
> downgrade these packages to their squeeze version, but that's
> unsupported and will probably result in quite a mess.
>
> Reinstalling is your safest bet.
Well, I would try to not reinstall my system.

Think all your sid packages in your computer will be some day packages
in testing (or newer versions of these packages will enter in
testing). Maybe there are some of these packages which won't be in
testing by debian policy issues.

So, why not, simply wait one month without upgrading, remove sid from
your sources.list (and keep only wheezy), and then aptitude update;
aptitude safe-upgrade; aptitude full-upgrade ?

Playing with aptitude / apt-cache you could know how many time you
have to wait to do  that upgrade.

Other possible solution would be pinning all packages from sid to
their current version (upgrading glibc with the bug, of course), and
removing sid from sources.list, and again wait, but this time you
could upgrade your system. But I'm not sure if you can have a package
pinned when the version is not in your repositories from sources.list
(Can anyone clarify this ?)

These technique only applies on periods where stable is recently released

Regards,