Re: access to non-free from aptitude (continued)?

Hi Charles,
On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 10:38:10AM -0500, Charles Blair wrote:
>    [Sorry, I'm using claws-mail and it doesn't seem to let
> me post follow-ups]
>
>       Thanks to everyone for the prompt responses, but I still have
> a problem.  My /etc/apt/sources.list includes
>
> > deb http://debian.uchicago.edu/debian/ lenny main contrib non-free
>
>    I tried typing "aptitude update".  Part of the output:
>
> > Ign http://debian.uchicago.edu lenny/non-free Translation-en_US
> > Ign http://debian.uchicago.edu lenny/non-free Packages/DiffIndex
> > Hit http://debian.uchicago.edu lenny/non-free Packages
>
>    However, when I start aptitude, click on "not installed
> packages," then on "editors," the only thing I see is main.
Just to be sure: You are using lenny, and not squeeze ? :-)

And another remark: Whenever there appear NEW packages, aptitude will
show them in a special section (not "not installed packages", but "new
packages"). As you added the "non-free" repository, all packages from
non-free are now seen as "new" -- and should appear there (and NOT in
the section "not installed packages", where you looked :-)))

If I'm right (and they are in "new" right now), the following should
work:
If you execute "aptitude search emacs22-common", aptitude should find
both "emacs22-common" and "emacs22-common-non-dfsg".
and
aptitude install emacs22-common-non-dfsg
should install it.

You can use "aptitude forget-new" to transfer all those "new" packages
into the "not installed"-section. Alternatively, you can do the same in
aptitude : Actions -> Forget new packages"

>    Is there an aptitude tutorial someplace?  I suspect there
> are a lot of basic things I don't know.

You could try:

http://wiki.debian.org/Aptitude
which also refers to the apt-documentation
http://wiki.debian.org/Apt
and the "full" package-management documentation
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch02.en.html

HTH,

Axel