Re: /etc/resolv.conf file is empty

On Sun 08 May 2011 at 16:48:43 +0100, AG wrote:

> So, Hans suggested that I delete the symlink to resolvconf, but
> resolvconf isn't installed.  However, since its config files are there I
> wonder if a symlink was created?

I doubt it.

> Are there other options that might explain and remedy why the
> /etc/resolv.conf file is being erased at shutdown/ reboot.  It is
> definitely this file that is the critical piece here, because when ever
> I repopulate the file connectivity is restored.  How do I keep that file
> immutable? Will changing permissions help across shutdowns?

I think you are correct about /etc/resolv.conf being the critical item
here but are you sure you have no connectivity at all or is it simply a
resolving issue?

ping 87.194.255.154

would tell you.

Changing permissions strikes me as kludgy, although I've seen it
advocated.

Ok. I'm a Network Manager ignoramus, and not much more knowledgeable
about ifupdown, but it appears to me you have two routes to choose from.

1. Comment out everything in /e/n/i except the stanza for the loopback
   interface and use Network Manager to set up a static IP.

2. Purge Network Manager and everything to do with it and rely on /e/n/i
   and ifupdown.