Re: /etc/resolv.conf file is empty

On 08/05/11 14:56, Brian wrote:
On Sun 08 May 2011 at 13:29:19 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

On Sun, 08 May 2011 13:30:59 +0100, AG wrote:

dpkg -l | grep resolvconf
rc  resolvconf
1.48                              name server information handler
Ein?>>>:-)

So you finally do have it installed.
rc - Package removed but configuration files remain.

dpkg --purge resolvconf

would remove the config files too.

Thanks all - learn something everyday: didn't know that is what rc referred to.

Anyway, purged those using Brian's dpkg method rebooted ... and still no resolv.conf file.

So, Hans suggested that I delete the symlink to resolvconf, but resolvconf isn't installed. However, since its config files are there I wonder if a symlink was created?

Are there other options that might explain and remedy why the /etc/resolv.conf file is being erased at shutdown/ reboot. It is definitely this file that is the critical piece here, because when ever I repopulate the file connectivity is restored. How do I keep that file immutable? Will changing permissions help across shutdowns?

Cheers

AG