Re: Loss of connectivity on recent testing updates [SOLVED]

On 07/05/11 10:04, Brian wrote:
On Sat 07 May 2011 at 03:21:39 +0100, AG wrote:

After trying #dhclient eth0 there was no output, but I can now access
the Internet.  When I rebooted the machine to double check, the Net was
inaccessible.
There is an implication here you are using a wired connection. Is that
correct?

Yes, that's right.
Is there someway that I can set this up so that this is automatically
configured at boot time?
There should be.

As an aside, this is a recent re-install and the network was configured
manually during that process, not through Network Manager.
This implies you are using ifupdown to manage the interfaces.

I'll have to take your word for that, but as below, the message is that eth0 is not configured (!?)
Thanks for any advice on getting this set up to access the Net upon boot up.
As root, edit /etc/network/interfaces to have

    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

    allow-hotplug eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp

The file originally read: "iface eth0 inet *static*" (no quotes/ emphases, of course)

Save and do

ifdown -v eth0

The response I get to doing this is:

$ sudo ifdown -v eth0
ifdown: interface eth0 not configured

and then

ifup -v eth0.

To which, the response is:

~$ sudo ifup -v eth0
Configuring interface eth0=eth0 (inet)
run-parts --verbose /etc/network/if-pre-up.d
run-parts: executing /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/vlan
run-parts: executing /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/wpasupplicant

dhclient -v -pf /var/run/dhclient.eth0.pid -lf /var/lib/dhcp/dhclient.eth0.leases eth0
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client 4.1.1-P1
Copyright 2004-2010 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit https://www.isc.org/software/dhcp/

Listening on LPF/eth0/00:90:47:05:a3:07
Sending on   LPF/eth0/00:90:47:05:a3:07
Sending on   Socket/fallback
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 7
DHCPOFFER from 192.168.1.254
DHCPREQUEST on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
DHCPACK from 192.168.1.254
bound to 192.168.1.64 -- renewal in 40816 seconds.
run-parts --verbose /etc/network/if-up.d
run-parts: executing /etc/network/if-up.d/50firestarter
Stopping the Firestarter firewall....
Starting the Firestarter firewall....
run-parts: executing /etc/network/if-up.d/avahi-daemon
run-parts: executing /etc/network/if-up.d/ip
run-parts: executing /etc/network/if-up.d/mountnfs
run-parts: executing /etc/network/if-up.d/wpasupplicant

However, following your advice, I am pleased to report back that upon rebooting, at least I now have connectivity by default which is a major advance and has resolved this issue then. Thank you very much, Brian. Much appreciated!

Just as an aside: as all of this happened when I rebooted after an uptime of 9 days, how could I determine which package change in updating my system during this time borked the settings? This was a very nasty surprise, but scouring the web I seem to have been the only one affected.

Cheers

AG