Re: Loss of connectivity on recent testing updates

On 06/05/11 23:50, Arno Schuring wrote:
AG (computing.account@googlemail.com on 2011-05-06 19:12 +0100):
sudo ifconfig
lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
           inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
           inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
           UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
           collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
           RX bytes:1234607 (1.1 MiB)  TX bytes:1234607 (1.1 MiB)

How do I turn this on, and ensure that it stays on at boot up?
You're missing eth0, iow there does not appear to be a driver for your
network card (or ifconfig simply doesn't list downed interfaces, it's
been a long time since I've used that). Has there been a recent kernel
upgrade, for which you're missing some firmware packages maybe?

Multiple things to check:
# dhclient eth0
should either try to get you a network address, or complain with "no
such device" (run as root)

$ lspci | grep -i net
should show you a list of ethernet devices
$ lsmod
should give you a list of modules. Network drivers are usually named
with an abbrevation of the manufacturer, so you'll have to look for it
yourself.

Also, is this likely to have had an impact on my ability to print via
CUPS?
It shouldn't. But since you also had an issue with the Gnome theme, I
suspect your configuration has been fouled up. If your network was
configured via the GUI (NetworkManager), that might explain the network
issue as well.

Good luck,
Arno

After trying #dhclient eth0 there was no output, but I can now access the Internet. When I rebooted the machine to double check, the Net was inaccessible.

Is there someway that I can set this up so that this is automatically configured at boot time?

As an aside, this is a recent re-install and the network was configured manually during that process, not through Network Manager.

Thanks for any advice on getting this set up to access the Net upon boot up.

AG