Re: Loss of connectivity on recent testing updates

AG (computing.account@googlemail.com on 2011-05-06 19:12 +0100):
> sudo ifconfig
> lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
>           inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
>           inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
>           UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
>           RX packets:11601 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>           TX packets:11601 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>           collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
>           RX bytes:1234607 (1.1 MiB)  TX bytes:1234607 (1.1 MiB)
>

> How do I turn this on, and ensure that it stays on at boot up?
You're missing eth0, iow there does not appear to be a driver for your
network card (or ifconfig simply doesn't list downed interfaces, it's
been a long time since I've used that). Has there been a recent kernel
upgrade, for which you're missing some firmware packages maybe?

Multiple things to check:
# dhclient eth0
should either try to get you a network address, or complain with "no
such device" (run as root)

$ lspci | grep -i net
should show you a list of ethernet devices
$ lsmod
should give you a list of modules. Network drivers are usually named
with an abbrevation of the manufacturer, so you'll have to look for it
yourself.

> Also, is this likely to have had an impact on my ability to print via
> CUPS?
It shouldn't. But since you also had an issue with the Gnome theme, I
suspect your configuration has been fouled up. If your network was
configured via the GUI (NetworkManager), that might explain the network
issue as well.

Good luck,
Arno