Re: fullscreen video with mencoder

On 04/30/2011 11:53 PM, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
In<20110430212842.GA16962@debian.Jeff>, Jeffrin Jose wrote:
On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 03:04:37PM -0400, Rob Owens wrote:
I think he wants the black bars.  What he doesn't want is for the video
to get stretched to fill the screen, wrecking the aspect ratio in the
process.
I do not want the black bars. I need the picture to be
fullscreen without getting stretched.
So, you want the picture cropped to the screen size?

E.g.:
If you have a video that is 16x9 and you have a 576x432 screen you can:
(1) Scale by a factor of 36 in both dimensions, maintaining aspect ratio, to a
576x324 video and add 88 rows of black pixel padding to fill the rest of the
screen.
(2) Scale by a factor of 48 in both directions, maintaining aspect ratio, to a
768x432 video and delete 192 columns of data by cropping since it can't all be
displayed on the screen.
(3) Scale by a factor of 36 horizontally, and 48 vertically, stretching the
image--changing the aspect ratio by a factor of 4/3, but giving a exactly
576x432 video.

Most video players with a full-screen mode do (1).  Many have an option to do
(3).  I've not seen a GUI option for doing (2), but I'm sure there's a
command-line invocation of mplayer (and possibly others) to do it.

#2 is somewhat crappy, since it loses data.  It has certainly been used, as
part of "pan-and-scan" conversions, but they are usually human assisted, so
they can avoid cutting out important events.  (I can imagine a full automated
pan-and-scan but I don't know anything that does that, yet.)
Maybe I missed something along the way, but I think there is a more-or-
less standard that just chops the sides off wide-screen pictures and fills the
screen with the center 4x3 section of picture. Unless you have wide-screen
text or a spreadsheet, this seems to work fine for most other purposes.
(I'm still using 4/3 displays on Linux and Windows and I have no intention of
changing until a monitor burns out. I would lose too much horizontal surface
[i.e., desk space] if I had a 16/9 screen of the same height as I have now--
which I need for comfortable reading and writing of text.)  Oh--I don't play
shoot-em-ups.

--doug

--
Blessed are the peacekeepers...for they shall be shot at from both sides. --A. M. Greeley