Re: FullHD notebook support under Debian (sid)

Hi,

Camaleón wrote:
On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 10:51:45 -0300, Leonardo Ruoso wrote:
But almost no manufacturer will give me this kind of information "Debian
Compatilble". Whenever I ask they say it will be Windows 7 compatible
only, even when I have no issues.

I recently acquired some HP notebooks for my company that were able to be bought with Windows 7 and SuSE Linux SLED 11 (and there is a good chance that the machine works with almost any other linux distro).

But yes, that kind of information is not always showed to the user. I'd say the vast majority of the manufacturers do not include it, you have to discover by yourself :-(

You can however, take a look here:

http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/

Is a list made by users.

The trouble is that any laptop model even from the same manufacturer can have many variations ... different screen resolution, different video card, different wireless options, with or without bluetooth, different CPU capabilities. The list of differences can be quite significant. Some models have very specific inclusions without customization, other models can be customized all sorts of ways.

Long ago I learnt that if you bought a HP machine with a specific model designation that one month might see this or that chip installed and the next month might see an alternative WITHOUT changes to the model designation. So you can't rely fully on a make/model to be certain that you have a "compatible" machine.

FullHD is 1080p (progressive) so you will need a laptop that can handle that resolution natively (1920x1080). Almost any of the laptop manufacturers have models for home, multimedia and entertainment that will fit your FullHD needs (Sony, Toshiba, HP, Asus....).

I prefer high resolution so that I can fit more on my screen and the display isn't limited. So many laptops have 1366x768 which is far less preferable on a larger screen, but is preferable on a smaller screen (netbook). So, I agree, get the highest resolution that is available and make sure that the laptop has at least a dedicated graphic card with it's own memory. Switchable, perhaps automatic, between dedicated graphic cards and other low power graphic chipset is also desirable if you are going to be running on batteries often enough.

Here is an article [1] that might help a little, but perhaps only as a check list of things to look for. Now given the article was written in July or August last year, it is likely that models have changed and some of the device is already dated -- particularly insofar as laptops go anyway.

Bottom line is that there are all sorts of reasons why a machine might be good for you or not and it's customization options are important to consider as much as the make / model to start with.

[1] http://communitylinux.org/node/235

--
Kind Regards
AndrewM