Re: Why doesn't debian remove the proprietary software from it's servers?

On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 11:47:43 +0300, sdc wrote:

> Greetings, I was reading FSF distro review and I was shocked to see that
> Debian isn't actually free software.
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Uh? How is that?

***
What Does Free Mean? or What do you mean by Free Software?
http://www.debian.org/intro/free.en.html
***

> FSF said that they are making a big
> progress(this happened when they removed the blobs from the kernel) but
> still isn't free software because users have the option to install
> proprietary software from debian's server and this is a bit confusing
> for beginners in this free software world.

Ah, you meant is not in the list of the FSF's free GNU/Linux
distributions. That's another different thing.

> My beginner question is, why doesn't Debian remove the proprietary
> software hosted on it's servers? Don't they want to follow the FSF word?

I'd say no linux (or BSD) ditribution could do that if they want to live
in the real world. Sadly, there is still a small part of hardware
components that do not work well without the closed source drivers ;-(

Greetings,

--
Camaleón