Re: ttf-liberation over ttf-mscorefonts; was Re: Why doesn't debian remove the proprietary software from it's servers?

On Wednesday 27 April 2011 09:02:38 Huang, Tao wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 7:13 PM, Klistvud <quotations@aliceadsl.fr> wrote:
> >>
> >> But we are getting closer every year:
> >>
> >> $ aptitude search '~s"non-free|contrib"~i!~M'
> >> i   firmware-iwlwifi                - Binary firmware for Intel Wireless
> >> 3945, 4
> >> i   flashplugin-nonfree             - Adobe Flash Player - browser
> >> plugin i   nvidia-glx                      - NVIDIA binary Xorg driver
> >> i   nvidia-settings                 - Tool for configuring the NVIDIA
> >> graphics d
> >> i   opera                           - A fast and secure web browser and
> >> Internet
> >> i   skype                           - Skype
> >> i   sun-java6-plugin                - The Java(TM) Plug-in, Java SE 6
> >> i   unrar                           - Unarchiver for .rar files
> >> (non-free versio
> >>
> >> of these I could get rid of Opera anytime (I don't actually use it, but
> >> I test it from time to time) and probably the Java plugin (I don't even
> >> recall why it's installed).
> >>
> >> There is work in progress for replacements for the nvidia driver and the
> >> flash plugin (but still not entirely there).
> >>
> >> firmware-iwlwifi will be tough, because Intel claims it has to do with
> >> (FCC?) compliance and unrar because it's still quite widespread (but
> >> actually useless for compressed movies and mp3s, so it's more of a user
> >> education thing).
> >
> > After the recent radeon improvements, my list is even shorter -- although
> > by only one line:
> >
> > i   broadcom-sta-modules-2.6.32-5-amd64
> >                         - broadcom-sta modules for Linux (kernel
> > 2.6.32-5-amd64)
> > i   broadcom-sta-source
> >                         - Source for the Broadcom STA Wireless driver
> > i   conky
> >                         - highly configurable system monitor
> > (transitional package)
> > i   firmware-linux-nonfree
> >                        - Binary firmware for various drivers in the Linux
> > kernel
> > i   flashplugin-nonfree
> >                         - Adobe Flash Player - browser plugin
> > i   ttf-mscorefonts-installer
> >                         - Installer for Microsoft TrueType core fonts
> > i   unrar
> >                         - Unarchiver for .rar files (non-free version)
> >
> > Of which I could easily get rid of ttf-mscorefonts, and potentially of
> > unrar and conky too (but I'm a huge fan of conky). And this is on a
> > laptop, which are notorious for requiring proprietary drivers and stuff.
> >
> > On my desktop, the list is even more optimistic:
> >
> > i   flashplugin-nonfree
> >                         - Adobe Flash Player - browser plugin
> > i   ttf-mscorefonts-installer
> >                         - Installer for Microsoft TrueType core fonts
> > i   unrar
> >                         - Unarchiver for .rar files (non-free version)
> >
> > of which I could easily discard all but the flashplugin-nonfree (although
> > it's a piece of software I utterly despise).
>
> can be even shorter if u replace ttf-mscorefonts with ttf-liberation
>

> Cheers,

> [...]
Thank you for the hint. I tried Liberation sans instead of Arial. It is not
the same. Non ASCII fonts with diacritical signs do not render correctly on-
screen. That is especially nasty when trying to read Greek or Hebrew
transcribed into Latin characters. For day-to-day work it might be OK however.
I didn't try printing yet.
Just my 2 ¢ ...

Cheers, Eike