Re: file systems

Jörg-Volker Peetz put forth on 4/25/2011 4:06 AM:
> Also barriers should be enabled for data safety. Barriers are enabled for ext4
> by default.

XFS uses barriers by default as well.  However, the use of barriers is
wholly dependent on the storage back end.  WRT to systems with BBWC,
either on an HBA RAID card or a SAN array, barriers should be disabled
for performance reasons.  With BBWC, flushing the cache often ruins
write performance and doesn't increase data safety.

> By the way, detailed mount options should always be considered when comparing
> file systems.

Depends on what features are being compared, but in general I agree.

--
Stan