Re: Backlight mystery - anyone shed light? some progress

On 24 Apr 2011, shawn wilson wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 5:10 PM, Anthony Campbell <ac@acampbell.org.uk> wrote:
> > On 24 Apr 2011, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> >> On 24 Apr 2011, Camaleón wrote:
> >

> > Well, it's beginning to look as if it was a hardware problem all along.
> > The Windows partition disappeared and the backlight began to work
> > perfectly. I decided to do a reinstall in the former Windows partition.
> > Everything seemed to go off correctly but when I came to reboot into
> > Debian I got Nonsystem Disk or disk failure: Replace and strike any key
> > when ready.
> >
> > I think there must have been some hardware failure.
>
> that's your mbr talking to you. don't think that's hardware 'failure'.

Yes -thanks to another kind soul on this always-helpful list, I needed
to set the partition with the bootable flag. It then came up at once.

It's beginning to look as if the original problem discussed in this
thread (dim backlight) was due to the egregious Windows. Now that that
is gone the backlight is bright all the time.

Much relief.

Anthony
--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk