Re: Backlight mystery - anyone shed light?

On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 08:50:07 +0100, Anthony Campbell wrote:

> On 22 Apr 2011, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Tue, 19 Apr 2011 17:14:35 +0100, Anthony Campbell wrote:
>>
>> > My HP laptop tends to boot with a dim screen.
>>
>> (...)
>>
>> Hum... some of the new HP notebooks have a sensor that automatically
>> adjusts the brightness of the screen depending on the ambient light.
>> This can be turned off in windows but I dunno if there is such utility
>> for linux :-?
>>
>> What video driver are you loading?
>

> This is a laptop (6735s) and is over a year old so not very new. I don't
> think it has that "feature".
>
>  It uses the radeon driver.

You will find out in the BIOS screen. If the feature is there, there
should be an option to toggle it on/off under "system configuration menu/
buit-in options"

Also, check for a BIOS update, most of these "ACPI things" are usually
fixed after updating to the latest BIOS.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón