Re: list all the devices connected to the router

On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 7:47 PM, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
<raju.mailinglists@gmail.com> wrote:
> shawn wilson wrote:
>
>> sense no one has mentioned it yet - nmap -sP 192.168.1.*
>
> Thanks for the nmap command. This lists some of the machines but not all.
> For example, when I look at 192.168.1.1 in a web browser I see that the
> router is connected to 192.168.1.36 . However, it does not show up in the
> nmap output.
>
> $nmap -sP 192.168.1.*
>
> Starting Nmap 5.00 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2011-04-24 19:44 EDT
> Host dslrouter.westell.com (192.168.1.1) is up (0.0011s latency).
> Host D76PB4B1.westell.com (192.168.1.21) is up (0.00049s latency).
> Nmap done: 256 IP addresses (2 hosts up) scanned in 2.45 seconds
>
> The 192.168.1.36 is my vonage phone connection. I am unable to ping it
> either. However, my phone works so the connection must be alive.

if you can't ping it, i doubt anything other than snmp or cacti (or
whatever network monitoring tool might suite your preference) will
help you much. chances are that the phone does what my tv (and mac
mini on default configuration) does - goes to sleep until it needs to
do something.

> Any other ideas?

yeah, rtfm:
  -sS/sT/sA/sW/sM: TCP SYN/Connect()/ACK/Window/Maimon scans
  -sU: UDP Scan
  -sN/sF/sX: TCP Null, FIN, and Xmas scans

other than that, nmap.org and insecure.org have tons of docs. you can
probably even find someone asking about scanning your phone. there is
also a talk that the lead dev did about 'scanning the internet' you
can probably google for (or is probably linked to on their page) that
was given at defcon a few years ago.

you can also fire up wireshark and see what your phone is doing and
figure out how to handle it from that point. if it wakes up when you
get a call, you can probably write some simple lua plugin to find it
(i don't think it's that hard though). if you get stuck, check #nmap
on the freenode irc. it's not very active but pretty helpful folks
stay in there.