RE: list all the devices connected to the router

On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 1:13 PM, Huang, Tao <debian@huangtao.me> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 12:52 AM, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
> <raju.mailinglists@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I connect my PCs to internet via Verizon DSL router. When I go to
>> 192.168.1.1 in a browser (say firefox), I am able to see all the computers
>> connected to this router.
>>
>> However, from command line is there any way to probe for the list of IP
>> addresses of all the machines connected to the router?
>
> can u ssh / telnet to the router.
> there might be native utilities that u can run from the router's shell.
>
> for example, with dd-wrt firmware on supported routers, just run "ifconfig".

sense no one has mentioned it yet - nmap -sP 192.168.1.*
will get you what you want. now, a nice little trick i used to do on
semi embedded systems that i didn't want to install anything on (emc
darp, and vmware esx):
seq 0 254 | while read f; do ping -c 1 $f; done; arp
you might want to clear your arp cache first though:
ip neigh flush all

... though, something tells me you're not going to be doing any of
this because nmap is the right tool for the job :)